Sunday, September 6, 2015

Crowdsourcing Benefits

While continuing to read Real-Time Marketing & PR by David Meerman Scott, I have come across many interesting points relating to social media.  For instance, the importance of reacting fast and responding to comments in real-time, as well as getting individuals involved in business practices and decisions. 
Crowdsourcing is a topic that was brought up throughout the reading, and I feel that it plays a pivotal role in many businesses.  Individuals like to feel that they have a say in a situation, whether through voting or simply expressing their opinions.  For instance, in many talent shows and competitions, viewers can text or tweet their votes for their favorite individuals.  By doing this, people are able to impact the show in very small way.  In addition, it makes watching the show more exciting because you are more involved in the process.  It is one thing to just simply watch a television show, but being able to participate takes it to a whole new dimension.  I know when I watch these types of competitions, I tend to get bored very quickly.  By being able to be a more active participant, I can enjoy the show and possibly not lose focus so easily.

In addition, social media can influence businesses on a creative level.  By utilizing different social media channels, businesses can offer competitions to their consumers.  The business can post something on Facebook and Twitter, and have people comment or complete the task.  Sometimes contests are posted so that the consumers can use their creativity to create a promotion for the company.  If the person is chosen, then they may win a prize specific to that product or company.  By entering these contests, individuals can gain exposure and practice in their hand at marketing.

As a college student, I am always looking for ways to earn free items. Sometimes these contests are as simple as filling in a blank to a sentence or briefly completing a survey.  If the contest does not take too much time and I like the product, then I typically enter the contest.  I have not won anything yet, but I keep my hopes up in possibly winning in the future.  Overall, I think the idea of crowdsourcing is a great way for companies to connect with their consumers and get them involved in their specific business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment