Saturday, September 5, 2015

Getting Down and Dirty

Well, the start of my third year of pharmacy school is in full swing.  Classes have begun, projects have been started, and the late nights are beginning.  After the first week of classes, the only thing I wanted to do was have a relaxing weekend.  This was definitely accomplished!  Last Saturday, my friends and I participated in the annual mud volleyball tournament at Ohio Northern University (ONU).  This tournament is a long-standing tradition at ONU.  When the registration came out for this event, I was very hesitant to find a team and sign up.  I absolutely love the sport of volleyball, and have been very involved in this activity for numerous years.  I have coached elementary and junior high girls, and have played competitively throughout high school.  The thought of getting muddy in order to play volleyball, did not appeal to me at all.

My friends ended up convincing me to join their team for Saturday.  I woke up early that day, got dressed, and headed over to the courts.  The number of students that came out to support the event was astonishing.  There were over 100 teams signed up to participate in the tournament this year!  The tournament was single elimination, and the teams were ready to play.  Once our team was registered, we waited about an hour until it was our turn to play.  In the meantime, we took pictures and practiced before it was game time.  The time finally came, and we got into the muddy court.  The mud was a little on the cold side, and I quickly began sinking deeper into the ground.  I had a very hard time keeping my balance.  Our team did not come close to winning, but it was more about the memories that were made in the process.  After the game had ended, we dove into the mud.  Everyone on the team got down and dirty and was smiling, while having a good time.

After we left the courts, we took some more pictures.  Did you even play mud volleyball if you do not have the pictures to prove it?  Then, it was time to clean off.  We sprayed off with the hoses, and took a jump into the pond.  Even though I was a little skeptical to play mud volleyball, I had an amazing time.  I laughed, smiled, and enjoyed the day with my friends!  This was a perfect way to relax after the first week of classes.  It was great to catch up with my friends, and participate in such a large event that encompasses the entire campus.  Overall, playing mud volleyball will always be an experience I remember, and I hope to continue in this tradition again in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Celine, I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to play with your team last weekend. I'm glad that you decided to play as I had a blast playing along side you. It really is amazing to see how many people come out to play or even just watch. I too played competitively in high school, but it was amazing to see how all your volleyball skills go out the window once you step in the mud. Your pictures highlight the event completely, and you are totally right, the only way to prove you played mud volleyball is to take pictures. All in all last weekend was a lot of fun and I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete