Monday, September 7, 2015

Kanye West for President?

If you are like me, you love to listen to music.  This can be while you are hanging with friends, driving in the car, or simply doing your homework.  Artists are in the spotlight for their current track, the music video they produced, or what they are doing in their personal life.  I listen to a variety of genres including pop, rap, and sometimes even country.

The MTV Video Music Awards were held over a week ago, and the media is still buzzing over the entire incident with Kanye West.  Specifically, Kanye West announced he would run for president in 2020.  This announcement was made shortly after Taylor Swift presented him an award on stage.  As I watched this occur, I was shocked.  At this point in the show, many surprises had occurred.  This included performances from various artists, as well as Miley Cyrus hosting the entire event with her exotic outfits.  I expected Kanye West to make his acceptance speech grand, but not to this degree.  Was he actually serious, or was he just joking around?  Honestly, I was not exactly sure what to think at this point.  I was very confused with the entire situation, and was ready for him to get off the stage.

Personally, I do not think Kanye West will run for president, but only the future will tell.  I think being on this large of a stage with the crowd yelling and clapping behind him, played a role in what he said.  His adrenaline was high, and Taylor Swift presented the award.  Taylor Swift continues to make it big in the music industry.  The media promoted her giving away this award in order to gain viewers and hopefully spike ratings.  This was definitely achieved, especially after the big announcement from Kanye West.  Overall, the MTV Video Music Awards had many outstanding performances.  However, people will always remember when Kanye West announced his bid to presidency in 2020.  We will have to wait and see if this announcement holds true in the future. 

2 comments:

  1. Celine, I was unable to watch the MTV Video Music Awards live, but I decided to watch it a couple days after because I heard about how Kayne said he was going to run for President. Honestly, I agree with you. I do not think he will end up running. I feel like he would try to run just to make a statement, but do you think anyone would seriously vote for him? I don't at all. He has no background or training in politics and I don't know how anyone could take him seriously. Like you said, his adrenaline was pumping and all of those people were just screaming for him. I was also glad that Taylor Swift presented the award to him because they've had a rocky past and it was a good way to let the bad feelings die. I have no words to describe Miley Cyrus, she is literally the most outrageous person I know. But overall it seemed like the awards show went well and no problems arose, so I'd say it was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celine- I am going to say this right now but if he were to run in 2020 that I would not vote for him. I think he actually planned on saying he would run for multiple reasons past just his adrenaline. I think a large part of coarse is for the media attention. We have always seen him as an attention seeking individual, but then again what famous person is not. I would expect him to drop some type of big news or maybe leak some new songs being that he has all of this focus on him currently. At a marketing standpoint, its a win-win for him. He gets his name freshly out there in peoples mind and all marketing strategies are already in place with how much the media would cover it. I think he also said it to potentially bring attention to the issue that we as a nation are allowing anyone to run for president. I personally think Donald Trump should not be running but that's just me. I am not saying anyone cannot become president but if you have a past with entertainment in some form then you are unfit to be the next commander and chief. Of coarse, most things that Kanye says is never serious but all I have to say is what if he did run? What if he were to run and some how win? Just some hypothetical thoughts that might make you laugh when you actually think about them.

    ReplyDelete