Sunday, November 1, 2015

Creating a Video

Once again for my social media class I am trying something a little different.  I had filmed videos before but never really took part in the editing process.  For a project, we had to create a short how to video.  The topic of the video was pretty much open to interpretation, which was really nice.

I decided to create a video on how to feed the ducks on the campus of Ohio Northern University.  Feeding the ducks is an activity that I really enjoy.  Some people don’t think about this simple activity, but I always find myself over by the pond.  In addition, the video had to be around a minute so I wanted to stay away from topics that were complicated.  Before the filming of the video took place, I wrote an outline of the script and tried to figure out the best way to shoot the various scenes.  It was a gorgeous day in Ada, so I chose to shoot every scene outside and enjoy the fall day.  I ended up being the focus of the video, so my roommate helped to shoot a few scenes and added a little commentary.  For the most part, I was able to shoot many scenes and add them to the appropriate parts of the video.


Once I had all the video clips and photos that I needed, it was time to sit down and edit the video.  This was definitely a new process for me.  I used the iMovie app to help piece together the video clips.  It actually wasn’t too difficult. After spending a few minutes playing on the app, I found it fairly simple to use and navigate.  I was able to create a fairly smooth video without much difficulty.  I think the hardest part was getting it uploaded to YouTube.  I couldn’t figure out why the upload kept failing, but after a little googling I found the source of my problem.  I eventually got the video uploaded successfully.  Feel free to take a look at my YouTube video and leave any comments below.  Overall, creating and editing the video was not as hard as I thought it would be and I ended up enjoyed this small project.  

3 comments:

  1. That looks great! I'm surprised the sound worked so well with the wind. Did you do something to compensate for the wind or did it just work out that way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! I was a little worried about the wind as well, but it ended up working out. I didn't have to compensate at all, which surprised me.

      Delete
  2. Celine- I think you did an awesome job creating and editing your video! I’m happy the wind didn’t interfere with your video. That would have been a pain to edit. Feeding the ducks was such a unique and interesting topic. Personally, I am terrified of the ducks and swans on campus so I commend you for getting that close to them! Now that I see how friendly they are, maybe I’ll try feeding them sometime.

    ReplyDelete