Friday, October 2, 2015

Tragedy Strikes

This past week a tragedy struck the state of Oregon.  A shooter opened fire at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College.  Students and even teachers were shot and injured with some casualties.  Before the gunman shot, he would ask the victims if they were Christian.  Because of this, investigators believe that the shooter was targeting Christians specifically.

Tragedies can affect numerous people and communities.  It doesn’t matter if you know the victims personally or not.  Social media has been allowing individuals to take a stand and honor the victims of this traumatic event.  Because of this, a new hashtag on Twitter of #YesIAmAChristian has been trending.  People can include this hashtag to support the families who were affected, as well as stand by their specific faith.  When I saw this, I was slightly surprised.  I knew people looked to Twitter to stay updated on any incoming information, but I didn’t realize the impact it could have in providing support for anyone involved.  By tweeting with this hashtag, people can see that they are not alone in this situation and many are standing by to provide support.  I couldn’t imagine having to express my faith knowing consequences may ensue.  You never know the religious or personal background of the individuals you encounter.

Personally, I couldn’t imagine being at that Oregon college during the shooting.  I would be scared, upset, and nervous not knowing the status of my life.  Because of this, I am so grateful for the life I do have.  Those students had no idea what was going to happen that day.  They expected a normal day of classes and activities before tragedy struck.  This just shows that each day is precious and unique.  We must live in the moment and try to take full advantage of situations.   

No comments:

Post a Comment